You are here: Member Advantages > List Exchange Policy
List Exchange Policy
Long-term support from our individual members is critical to fulfilling the HoustonPBS mission of community service. Maintaining and preserving a strong, trusting relationship with our members is key to this vital source of support.
Finding more individuals to join in supporting our services is also vital to the long-term success of our organization. Individuals who have contributed to organizations similar to ours are among the most likely to also be loyal supporters of HoustonPBS. Access to lists of donors to these community organizations is also a vital element of our efforts to raise the money needed to provide our services.
Balancing the needs and desires of our contributors along with meeting the need for efficient and effective fundraising practices are the principles that serve as the underpinning of our list exchange policy. The purpose of this policy is to ensure that we conduct our fundraising in compliance with nationally-established guidelines while ensuring that our member’s trust and faith in us is well placed and deserved.
HoustonPBS will, on occasion, exchange membership lists with other well-established charitable, cultural non-profit organizations. We believe that the opportunities for increased financial support and the cost reductions resulting from list exchanges conducted within the guidelines of this policy will help us deliver more and higher-quality, mission-related services to the public.
In exchanging lists, the following principles will always apply:
- We will not sell, rent, give or exchange member’s names to, with or from any candidate for public office, committees or organizations supporting a candidate, political parties, or organizations that solicit funds for use in political campaigns for any purpose.
- We will respect the privacy of all members by offering a means by which their names may be suppressed upon their request and we will honor their requests. We will provide notice of this option in mailings to members. Also, we will endeavor to provide additional notices of this option throughout the year in other ways including our web site. Members are encouraged to contact our Member Services department at 713-743-8483 or 1-800-364-8300 if they wish to be removed from any list.
- We will maintain active control of our membership lists by informing others, including any list brokers we may hire, of this policy and by taking steps to enforce this policy. We will have a written agreement, which contains provisions consistent with this policy, with all list brokers we hire.
- We will maintain complete and accurate records of all uses of membership and donor lists for at least such time as required by law.
- When we use a list broker to facilitate a list exchange we will ensure that the list is only for a one-time use and the only information provided will be the member’s name, address and/or telephone number.
- We may enter into agreements with outside companies in fulfillment of member premiums or an "affinity" program which would use our donor list for marketing such program. We will only enter into an "affinity" program which would offer our members a quality product at or below market price and which would provide revenue to HoustonPBS.
- Occasionally, we may rent or purchases lists from other organizations in order to reach prospective members. We will not rent or purchase lists which are generated by political parties or political candidates. Additionally, we will not rent lists from any organization if we believe doing so may endanger the trust between HoustonPBS and its members.
- We will comply with the laws and regulations of the Internal Revenue Service, the State of Texas, the United States Postal Service, and the certification requirements of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.